Aug 28, 2012

Jessism of the Week: My Obsession

I am absolutely over-the-moon obsessed with Olallieberries. What are olallieberries you say? Only the single best invention I have ever had the pleasure to put in my mouth. These little beauties were developed at Oregon State in the 1930s by a berry genius named George Waldo and released into the wild in 1950.

"The olallieberry (pronounced oh-la-leh, sometimes spelled ollalieberryolallaberryolalliberryollalaberry or ollaliberry) is a cross between the loganberryand the youngberry, each of which is itself a cross between blackberry and another berry (raspberry and dewberry, respectively)." - wikipedia, epicurious food dictionary

My first enchanting encounter with these delightful morsels was on a trip to Hearst Castle when my husband and I stopped in Cambria, CA for a bite to eat. Our lunch place of choice was Linn's Restaurant, where we were introduced to the mouthwatering Olallieberry Pie. The taste is so deliciously tart and sweet that it is mind boggling. It was love at first bite. Mr Mine and I immediately both fell in love with the Olallieberry to the point where we even had Olallieberry for our wedding pie last year instead of the traditional cake. We had two frozen pies shipped from Linn's Restaurant and our caterer baked them to perfection! Hmm, maybe I should order one every year for our anniversary. I sense a new tradition in the making...


Recently I was in Solvang, with Mrs Bokeh, and Ms Ianthine and came across a stand selling Olallieberry Jam. If I thought I loved the pie, I am enraptured by the jam. And the obsession continues! YUM!



1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...