Aug 2, 2012

The Pentagons

Thursday Dinner with The Pentagons

Meet my dear friends, Mr & Mrs Pentagon. Really they should be Dr & Dr Pentagon but I figured that would just get confusing so Mr & Mrs they shall be. I met Mrs Pentagon when I was 17 on our high school track team. We bonded over heart wrenching losses, hot track coaches, and whatever else teenage girls pour their hearts out over. We sat together on the bus after every track meet and in between races where you found one the other was usually close by.

Mrs Pentagon and I at my '97 Graduation Party
I was a Senior and she was a Sophomore, but we just seemed to click. I can't tell you the first moment I met her, but she immediately became an important part of my life. When I went away for college we stayed in touch, but over the years drifted apart. I saw her whenever we were both in our hometown but  once I had moved out of state that happened less and less frequently. Until we were down to an annual or even bi-annual phone call. It just so happened that 6 years ago I woke up one morning at 8am and happened to call her for our annual check-in. I had been living in LaLa land for 5 months figured that it would at least be 11am her time and not a big deal on a saturday. Imagine my surprise when she grumpily answered the phone and corrected my misconception by letting me know she was in my time zone. Not only was she in my time zone, but she was living in LaLa land for the summer doing an internship. In fact she had been working less than a mile from me for the past two months! We immediately made plans to meet up and fell back into our long lost friendship. A little tenuous at first, but since that day we have both been to each others weddings and those annual phone calls are now more like monthly phone calls, the time inbetween peppered with emails, texts and now even blogs :)

I am grateful to have her back in my life and I absolutely adore her Mr Pentagon. I think that they are wonderful together. I can't wait to celebrate their new little life coming into the world.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...