Jul 8, 2012

Jessism of the Week: Lady Hugalot

I'm big on the hugs. People have even taken to terming it a "Jess hug". I have some simple rules when it comes to hugging.

#1 If you're going to hug someone, hug'em like you mean it. There is nothing worse than getting a half-hearted hug. It's basically like giving someone a limp handshake.

#2 The tighter the squeeze, the better. Please take into account the human pain threshold. It took me a few years to adjust my hugs to that effect.

#3 Be an equal opportune hugger. Hugging people from behind is just as effective as the traditional hug. However, this may be considered a sneak attack, so I would save this for close friends and relatives.

#4 Hugging perfect strangers is ok. And can yield surprising results, especially if they look like they need it. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the ladies room and some girl has come out of the bathroom, mascara dripping down her cheeks, eyes red looking completely miserable and in desperate need of a hug. Of course in those instances I usually ask if they could use a hug. Although occasionally they spontaneously burst from me. Read here about how this got me into a rather comical situation once.

Being a non-hugger is just not a possiblity if you run in my circle. I have no respect for personal boundaries when it comes to hugging either. I can remember making new friends in highschool and one new friend in particular, let's call him Mr. Pants. He had an anti-hug personality. Not to be deterred I hugged him every chance I got (once a day to his discomfort). Wouldn't you know, by the end of Senior year, he'd turn to me and say, "Hey! Where's my hug?" if I walked by without giving one. I think he's a happier guy for it because now he's one of the biggest huggers I know.

Hugs make the world a much better place, period. 

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...